Werewidow CR 6
CE haunt (40 ft. by 10 ft. alleyway)
Caster Level 7th
Notice Perception DC 23 (to hear the coughing of an old woman)
hp 12; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 day
Effect When this haunt is triggered, creatures within its area suddenly see an old woman hunched in the shadows. Any interaction (speaking to, looking at or acknowledgement otherwise) with this apparition incurs a gaze attack—creatures that fail a DC 16 Will save are unknowingly stricken with Werewolf Lycanthropy. This affliction can be removed with a break enchantment or remove curse, or by destroying the Werewidow haunt. Afterward the old woman disappears with a mournful howl.
Type curse, injury; Save Fortitude DC 15 negates, Will DC 15 to avoid effects; Onset the next full moon; Frequency on the night of every full moon or whenever the target is injured; Effect target transforms into a wolf under the GM’s control until the next morning.
Destruction While in the haunt’s radius, light aflame a bowl filled with twenty silver and the blood of an alpha wolf mixed with drops from a descendant of the Werewidow.
Adventure Hook The Werewidow was once a kindly druid beloved by the settlement that has outgrown the little part of it she still resides in. As the town became a city, natural resources grew scarce and the wildlife began to suffer. She began to placate the wolves in the region, but the older she grew and the larger the settlement became, the more wolves came and the more attentions she garnered from predatory canine spirits. Eventually these spectral beings possessed her charges, killing her—while a rash of adventurers brought low the lycanthropic plagues that soon followed, in her death throes the druid remains, causing werewolves to appear for centuries.
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).