The Mute Maiden CR 2
NG persistent haunt (20 ft.-radius circle)
Caster Level 1st
Notice Perception DC 15 (to get the feeling of being watched)
Hp 1; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 day
Effect: When this haunt is triggered, the spectral image of a young woman in a servant’s dress manifests, her chin and the front of her clothing covered in blood. She merely stands in front of the party and points towards a nearby settlement with a sorrowful look in her eyes. The haunt continues to trigger every night, each time pointing to a new location related to her quest for justice. The party can choose to ignore The Mute Maiden and travel on; if they do so three times, The Mute Maiden stops and seeks out other champions of justice.
Destruction: Serving justice for the Mute Maiden three times, or finding and burning her cut out tongue.
Adventure Hook: The Mute Maiden was a servant girl in the local mayor’s manor; after an illegitimate love affair she got pregnant and upon telling the mayor the news he flew into a rage, assaulting the poor girl. After beating her he cut out her tongue and walled her up in her chambers to die. The guttural cries that came from behind the wall were attributed to rats and otehr vermin, the mayor convincing his other staff that the girl had run off with a minstrel to the big cities of the north.
[Submitted by Brian Wiborg Monster]
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).