The Christmas Spirit CR 6
CG haunt (40-ft. radius)
Caster Level 6th
Notice Perception DC 25 (To hear laughter, ho ho ho, and sleigh bells in the distance)
Hp 12; Trigger touch (the sack of goods); Reset special
Effect: A full sack of goods is found as part of a hoard or other cache of treasure.
The haunt manifests when it is touched, forcing everyone within its radius to make a DC 22 Will save. On a failed save, the character must give 10% of the gold and jewels currently in their possession to the first orphanage or group of street urchins they come across; this 10% of gold and jewels cannot be spent on anything else other than charitable causes that directly benefit children. Evil characters must donate twice as much as neutral and good characters.
The sack then teleports to a random place in the multiverse, continuing to spread joy by exploiting greedy adventurers.
Destruction: Indestructible; you can’t destroy The Christmas Spirit. Legends do tell, however, that the tradition of caroling will appease the haunt and lower the percentage it takes by half.
Adventure Hook: You really don’t need one do you? Have fun watching greedy players squirm around. Make sure to have the caroling tradition played out live at the table, if you’ve got the requisite cheer to demand it.
[Submitted by Brian Wiborg Monster]
Everyone at AdventureAWeek.com wishes you and yours a very merry Christmas, the happiest of holidays, and a fine new year in 2014!
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).