Sanguine Avarice CR 9
NE persistent haunt (one creature)
Notice Perception DC 35 (to notice the pulsing gemstones of the items are synchronized)
hp 40; Weakness tricked by hide from undead; Trigger special (see text); Reset special (see text)
Effect This haunt is triggered when a creature dons two of the three following items: amulet of the sundered heart, cloak of the dark servant or mask of the thirst. Once the second item is donned, the creature is overcome by two overwhelming desires. The first is to never willingly remove either item, even upon pain of death (no save). The second is to do everything within their power to recover the last item, betraying, cajoling, deceiving and killing any and every person and thing that prevents them from doing so unless they succeed a DC 18 Will save once a week (at midnight on the day of rest, or its nearest equivalent). These desires continue for as long as the creature continues to wear two of the enchanted items, though they receive a save to resist the urge to seek out the third item once a week. In addition to these effects, while under the effects of the haunt the afflicted creature takes damage from positive energy and heals from negative energy.
Destruction Destroy both of the magic items (amulet of the sundered heart, cloak of the dark servant or mask of the thirst), which may only be removed once the wearer is unconscious.
Adventure Hook There are numerous examples (here on the AaWBlog under the tag “Cultus Sanguineas”!) included with each magic item (as well as several haunts, sidequest saturday and statblock sundays accompanying them)! Expect more about the history of these fell pieces on Friday!
Special Possession and wearing two parts of this set grants the abilities of both pieces and the use of comprehend languages as a spell-like ability three times per day and cause fear as a spell-like ability once per day.
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).