Deathfang’s Revenge CR 4
CE persistent haunt (20 ft. by 20 ft. room)
Caster Level 7th
Notice Perception DC 22 (to see the glitter or hear the rustle of gold coins)
hp 18; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 day
Effect When this haunt is triggered, the gold around it glitters and sparkles with luster, inviting thoughts of malignant avarice into the minds of any who behold it. Anyone within the area becomes the target of a malicious spite spell (Will DC 14) that continues after leaving it as long as anything from the treasure chest remains with them (unless the haunt itself is destroyed).
Destruction The youngest descendant of every council member responsible for Deathfang’s demise must be sacrificed on a pyre before the original chest of his hoard OR each and every piece of haunted gold must be melted down and blessed with holy water (1 per 100 gold).
Adventure Hook The brigand Deathfang was a half-orc that gathered the most monstrous brethren he could find, uniting them under his own banner of banditry. They terrorized the countryside for years, amassing a huge hoard of wealth that only their leader knew the location of. After being routed by several bands of adventurers, Deathfang stood trial and was sentenced to death by hanging (after rigorous questioning). The resilient rogue took his secret to the grave, cursing the hidden trove with his passing. Deathfang’s Revenge surrounds a treasure chest of a size determined by the GM (filled with an amount of gold appropriate for the party’s level) and is often in a room occupied by the corpses of the betrayed.
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (ex: The Drowned Maiden).