Thirst CR 9
CE haunt (20ft. radius)
Caster Level 8th
Notice Perception DC 27 (to hear the faint echo of hoarse screams for water on the desert wind)
Hp 8; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 hour
Effect When entering the haunt’s area, three ghostly figures rise from the sand and try to enter three randomly determined party members; A DC 19 Will save pushes the ghostly apparitions back into the ground. On a failure, the apparition touches the subject and they must succeed on a Fortitude DC 19 save or die from instant and catastrophic dehydration. Even if the Fortitude save is successful, the subject takes 2d6 points of damage and gains the fatigued condition
Destruction 15 gallons of water must be poured out over the sandy area where the haunt manifests, then burial rites must be performed for all three apparitions by a cleric of good-aligned god. While the destruction ritual takes place the haunt does not manifest, but should any part of the ritual be performed the wrong way—a DC 20 Knowledge (nature) or Knowledge (religion) check—it manifests immediately.
Adventure Hook This haunt is all that remains of three adventurers who traveled into the desert with too little water in their rations. They all died of thirst, and the dried out husks of their bodies are now lying under a few feet of sand.
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).