When scholar-meets-profiteer nothing is sacred or forbidden as long as it can offer coin, fame or fortune. One such eager individual is Grimstark Stoneturner, dwarven surveyor. Though considered on the fringe of academia and usually dismissed by professional scholars, the dwarf has managed to become quite popular with the common folk of Aventyr, and accounts of his adventures (often exaggerated or fabricated) are among the most frequently requested tales for storytellers.
Grimstark Stoneturner, Dwarven Surveyor CR 4
Male dwarf ranger 2/rogue 3
CG Medium humanoid
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +11
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 40 (2d10+3d8+13)
Fort +6, Ref +9, Wil +3; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities); +2 vs. falling and falling objects; +2 vs. sleep and charm effects
Defensive Abilities evasion
Speed 20 ft.
Melee masterwork longsword +7 (1d8+2, Crit 19-20/x2), silver dagger +6 (1d4+3, Crit 19-20/x2)
Ranged composite longbow +7 (1d8+2, Crit x3)
Special Attacks favored enemy (giants +2), sneak attack +2d6, +1 on attack rolls against humanoids with the giant subtype
Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 6
Base Attack +4; CMB +6; CMD 19 (21 vs. overrun and trip)
Feats Breadth of Experience, Dodge, Mobility, Point-Blank Shot, Uncanny Alertness
Skills Acrobatics +10, Appraise +10 (+12 nonmagical metals or gemstones), Climb +10, Disable Device +10, Knowledge (geography) +7, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (history) +7, Linguistics +5, Perception +11 (+13 unusual stonework), Ride +5, Survival +10
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Nr’Cul, Terran
SQ rogue talents (combat trick), track +1, wild empathy +2
Gear chain shirt, masterwork buckler, silver dagger, composite longbow (+2) with 60 arrows, masterwork longsword, climber’s kit, light horse (combat trained) with military saddle, saddlebags, thieves tools, map case, collection of maps of NaeraCull, adventurer’s logbook, archaeologist tools, surveyor’s tools, and 15 pp; 1,700 gp; 800 sp; 100 cp.
Grimstark Stoneturner’s Adventurer’s Log
In addition to what appears to be a daily log of his journey into and throughout NaeraCull, the book has many pages of notes referencing dozens of historical tomes. Most of the entries are focused on the Stone Sentinels of NaeraCull, and when read it provides the following information:
- The great stone men of the jungle, though inanimate, are living. Their hearts beat in rhythm with the spirit of the land as they gaze out across the endless valley and great waterfalls to the southwest.
–Vymil Ghorstin, excerpt from,The Forgotten Lands.
- From a time when the gods walked the lands and committed great atrocities among the lesser races, the brave lords of stone arose to the defense of mankind. For their bravery, they were punished – cast upon the mountainside and bound to gaze upon the suffering of those they sought to protect.
– Ursal Lanbythem, excerpt from, Times Forgotten.
- It is said the hearts of the titans bears the blood of ancient gods, though forever sealed within their stone bodies. It is possible that a faint hint of this magic may persist within each of the statues.
–Thomalon Solbeur, excerpt from, Old Arcanas.
- The gem, glowing with power, casts an amber light upon the cavity. Once bound within, the energies from this gemstone, bound to the earth, will force the vigorous lot of the living upon the stone figure.
– Xeddick, excerpt from, Grimoire of a Golem Master.
The book also contains various detailed drawing of the Stone Sentinels from various angles, including one that depicts Grimstark’s engineering plans for excavating one of the giant statues.