Death’s Enabler CR 6
NE haunt (20 ft. by 10 ft. cliff’s peak)
Caster Level 7th
Notice Perception DC 23 (to hear the wails of tortured souls)
hp 12; Trigger proximity; Reset 1 hour
Effect When this haunt is triggered anyone within its area is compelled to hurl themselves off the cliff if they fail a DC 16 Will save, screeched at by a horde of phantasmal demons that sling the vilest of insults until they are obeyed. On a successful save the compulsion to leap off the cliff (80 feet down onto the water, taking 8d6 points of damage) is resisted, but the wicked brayings of the demons deal 3d6 points of damage. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
Destruction No less than four true holy tomes must be thrown into a bonfire in the area of death’s enabler (unless these books are devoted to a god of evil or necromancy, this act begets no ill will for the owners.)
Adventure Hook The mad priest Cavraszen traveled across the land, spreading his insanity wherever he went. Droves of suicides followed his passing; for an entire decade he terrorized the coastline, appearing in different guises to succor the foolish to early, self-inflicted deaths. Eventually Cavraszen’s foul deeds came back to haunt him, and the children of a town he nearly destroyed banded together to ensure his demise. They flung his body from the peak after battering him senseless, killing the insane preacher on impact.
Do you have a chilling idea for a haunt or cursed item? Send it along to us at submit (at) adventureaweek.com, but please, bear the following in mind before you submit anything for review:
1. Anyone can submit an entry.
2. One entry per person at any one time. An entry must be your own work, not being published previously or considered by any other publisher, and it must original and not infringe upon copyrighted material.
3. All entries become property of Adventureaweek.com, LLP.
4. By submitting an entry you authorize the use of your name and likeness without additional compensation for promotion and advertising purposes in all media.
5. Adventureaweek.com, LLP reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this endeavor at any time without prior notice.
6. All decisions of Adventureaweek.com, LLP and their arbiters are final.
7. There is no compensation provided – any entries are given freely by their creators for use by Adventureaweek.com, LLP in perpetuity.
8. Your statblock must be properly formatted (compare to similar content on the AaWBlog for correct formatting).