Rise of the Drow Prologue: The Darkness Arrives (PDF)
Rise of the Drow: The Darkness Arrives is a D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Adventure that takes four to six PCs from 1st to 6th level.
This adventure may be used either as a standalone or an introduction to the Rise of the Drow trilogy (available in PDF & hardback).
The northern climes have proven difficult to cross the further the party travels, beleaguered by both the rapidly shortening days and forests that grow thicker with every mile. The ever-falling snow, whether as gentle flakes or an energy- sapping blizzard, only increase the sense of silence, darkness, and isolation. A journey between settlements of what should have been a day or two has become twice as long; everyone is desperate to reach a roaring fire and a full stew pot.
The appearance of the village, the party’s intended destination, seems perfectly timed. The locals are heading for the central cathedral and talk of warmth, light, and succor while encouraging everyone to, “get out of the darkness.” Following this advice, the adventurers find themselves in the middle of a service to mark the ending of the longest night and a return to the comfort of daylight—thanks to an ancient relic.
However the ceremony does not go smoothly as several interruptions prevent the high priest from properly fulfilling his duties. The PCs called upon to aid another band of travelers before helping drive off unexpected undead! But all of this is just the precursor to worse events; slavers appear, attempting to capture villagers and drag them away. These malicious enemies are like none seen before, accompanied by strange creatures that target the building and individuals alike. The local residents are hard-pressed to face these foes and the party proves to be a vital force in preventing a devastating defeat!
Can the PCs deal with the many problems before them, overcoming multiple challenges as an unknown enemy attacks the cathedral from all directions? Can the party face down the slavers, rescuing the villagers from a terrible fate, or will they fall for the tricks and bluffs of the mysterious humanoids that use the very darkness as a weapon? Can anyone stop this attack and prevent the remorseless, merciless Rise of the Drow?
Rise of the Drow: The Darkness Arrives includes:
- A three part story spanning over 120 pages by the authors of Rise of the Drow, Tears at Bitter Manor, and the Saatman Throne Adventure Path.
- The perfect way to introduce your playgroup to the Rise of the Drow Trilogy
- Introduce your PCs to members of House Gullion, the growing house of power in the Underworld
- New exciting locations to explore like the Rybalkan Cathedral, Dark Wood, and Adrik’s Folly
- New monsters such as the Ghoublin, Skeletal Fire Mephit, and Squamp
- New magic items like the fabled moonshard
- Beautiful illustrations by Mates Laurentiu, Rick Hershey, Jacob Blackmon, and more
- Gorgeous maps by Todd Gamble introducing a brand new technique incorporating real-world model scenery into his cartography
129 pages, full color
Part One: The Darkness Appears by Stephen Yeardley & Jonathan G. Nelson (Authors of the Rise of the Drow)
Part Two: The Darkest Dawn by Steven T. Helt (2013 Paizo RPG Superstar)
Part Three: The Darkness Revealed by Michael McCarthy (Dreamscarred Press & Saatman's Empire Adventure Path)
Cartography by Todd Gamble (3x ENnie Award Winning Cartographer for WotC, Green Ronin, Monte Cook, and many more)
Art by Jacob Blackmon, Rick Hershey, Mates Laurentiu and many more!